Golden Hour, Destiny Reflection, Kolkata, India

Golden Hour, Destiny Reflection, Kolkata, India

Tuesday 22 November 2016

Pictures and Memories

During a phone call some time ago, my Dad advised me to do some "photo journalism" while in Kolkata. He said I would see things differently if I thought about my photos as a form of journalism and documentation instead of merely sight seeing and taking selfies (though those things are also important). He has also reminded me through email, skype, and text that I am not posting enough photos.

I think I have photo anxiety sometimes. I have fallen in love with Kolkata but I never feel that my photos do the city, or it's people, justice. There are so many moments I wish I could capture better: the roadside barber shop, the team of men demolishing an entire building with some hammers, the man taking an afternoon nap on his cycle rickshaw, the night time badminton games, the cows that stop traffic and more. Admittedly though my Dad was right: I do see the city differently when I imagine myself a journalist trying to document Kolkata, even if I don't actually take a photo at every moment.

So, here is a small collection of some memories from living in Kolkata, a post I would like to dedicate to my photography-loving Dad.

Fruit and veggie market every morning, around the corner from our house.
An uplifting thought. This is from our favourite momo and noodle restaurant near the office.
This street art can be found all over the city.
The Victoria Memorial, a hard-to-miss reminder of the British Raj.

A common sight on the streets of Kolkata. Sometimes there are as many as 10 men pushing a loaded bike.
A Kolkata icon: The Howrah Bridge. Fun fact: there was a problem with the bridge rusting because of all the people spitting on the bridge.
Morning baths in the Howrah River.
Flower market vendor.
Many trees are decorated and become mini-shrines.

Lotuses at the flower market.
Chai?!

A look at the early morning flower market.

Kumartuli, the Potters' Quarter. This is where all the idols are made for the many festivals/pujas.

No comments:

Post a Comment