Golden Hour, Destiny Reflection, Kolkata, India

Golden Hour, Destiny Reflection, Kolkata, India

Wednesday 2 November 2016

ASDF JKL;

Ever think back to when you first learned how to type? Or who taught you?
I remember, very distinctly, being taught by my Mum in our little home office in Kigali – on one of those chunky, white computers. I recall my annoyance at her not allowing me to just use my two index fingers and how she always insisted on the ASDF JKL; finger placement. Years later, I've realized how incredibly grateful I am for those frustrating lessons.

At Destiny, typing is a skill that most of the women we work with haven’t been exposed to. And it got me thinking, how lucky some of us are to grow up in societies where we have access to technology and where typing is a skill that's emphasized at a young age.

When can you recall meeting someone who couldn’t type? 
For me, it was yesterday. And she’s only a year younger than I am. So I feel fortunate to have the opportunity to be a part of her introduction to typing. It’s a strange but exciting learning experience to be a part of and thanks to the internet there are countless tools at our disposal to make her typing lessons go as smoothly as possible.

I hope that during the rest of my time at Destiny I get to see her progress. And that one day these skills will help guarantee her a secure job that she can be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment