Golden Hour, Destiny Reflection, Kolkata, India

Golden Hour, Destiny Reflection, Kolkata, India

Wednesday 14 September 2016

First Time Blogger in India

So, here I am…in Kolkata, India. Writing a blog while waiting for my wi-fi to revive itself. Should I not start with such a cliché? Well oops, it happens to be the truth.

I'm fairly surprised to find myself blogging. For some reason the idea of a blog has never appealed to me. It just seems a little vain or a great way to bore people with talking about myself. Plus, I’m just plain lazy. But this time around in my travels, I kind of get it. I get that it’ll be awesome to look back on these accounts of my adventures one day. The idea of my future kids possibly reading it is amusing. I know my Mum and Nani will love it. And I suppose for anyone else that’s wondering what I’m up to, here we go. I can’t say what I’ll write about or how interesting or helpful it will be. I’m just going to embrace the blog life and let the words flow.

For a long time I’ve wondered what it would be like to come to India as a coconut. I’ve always kind of thought of it as the motherland. The origin of my skin colour, my body type, the languages my family speak, and a variety of our traditions. And I have to say, it’s nice being surrounded by crowds of people that look just like me. I feel like I fit in. I don’t feel like I have to try as hard. And I definitely feel like my big nose isn’t so big. It’s weird realizing for the first time in my life that I’ve been holding myself to standards that aren’t true to me or my ethnicity. It’s comforting to know that somewhere in the world, I look normal. And that I’m not going to be introduced or described as “the Indian girl”.

Although I feel like I blend in, my clothes, dyed hair and the industrial piercing through my ear are big giveaways that I’m not a local. I walk around knowing that people are thinking that I’m one of them but not quite one of them. A weird place to hover but nonetheless, I’m enjoying embracing my culture in this new way.

I also can’t help but constantly be reminded of my childhood growing up in Rwanda. There are quite a few similarities. From the dirt and dust everywhere to the roasted corn (macai) stands and sugar cane sellers we pass on the street. It’s all strangely familiar. Katie (my new partner in crime, friend, roommate, and co-worker) and I have become quite at home in our little neighbourhood. It’s conveniently quiet and tucked away but close enough to some major markets and restaurants, as well as work. We also found a beautiful fruit and vegetable market 2 minutes away from home that is to die for. The pomegranates and papayas we cut open each morning make me so thankful that I get to enjoy such colourful luxuries. They also always remind me of my Dad and his complete addiction to fruit. With Katie’s influence, I’m slowly following suit.

Did I mention my nail polish gets all gooey and melts off here? It’s hot. That hot. But my skin is as clear as ever and my body is embracing the adjustment. So far our stomachs seem to be made of steel. So for now I’ll keep eating curry, drinking chai, and write the next time I feel inspired - or the next time the wi-fi cuts out. 

I post more on Instagram and Snapchat if you care to see more of the day to day! 
https://www.instagram.com/zrajan/

No comments:

Post a Comment