Golden Hour, Destiny Reflection, Kolkata, India

Golden Hour, Destiny Reflection, Kolkata, India

Tuesday 20 September 2016

Better Alternatives for Girls' Survival

I first heard about Destiny Reflection in my introductory health sciences class at SFU about 3 years ago when my prof talked about some of her students doing an internship in Kolkata. There was also a huge poster advertising working at Destiny Reflection as an international coop that I would always pass on my way to the bus stop. It sounded like everything I was interested in: education, women’s rights, non-profit work, and analyzing the social determinants to create healthier communities. I was hooked.

I think that being so determined to make it here to Kolkata so early on in my degree shaped a lot of my choices and decisions over the last three years. I joined the coop program to get experience in health sciences fields. I took a course on Indian History and a course on Gender and International Development. I Volunteered with a non-profit that focused on doing educational workshops on different issues of social and environmental justice. In my social media accounts, there have been increasing numbers of posts related to feminism and women’s empowerment. In general, I talked about wanting to go to India and intern at Destiny Reflection. A lot. And, possibly most importantly, I got involved with BAGS Inc. as early as I could.

Better Alternatives for Girls’ Survival (BAGS) Inc. is a non-profit organization based in Vancouver that works in partnership with Destiny Reflection to support survivors of human trafficking and sexual exploitation in India. BAGS was started by a group of young women after their return from their internship at Destiny Reflection in fall of 2011, the same group of students who my prof had been talking about in my intro class a few years ago. Inspired by their time in Kolkata, these women have committed themselves to the issue and found a way to stay involved and make a positive impact.

BAGS is regularly in touch with Destiny Reflection in order to import Destiny’s products, sell them in Vancouver, and return the profit to Destiny. They are an essential link for Destiny to reach the North American market and expand their organization. This is important: the more products the Destiny sells, the more money they make, the more money they are able to hire to work at the production center for a liveable wage. Creating dignified employment and opportunity for these women is huge.
                                                                                                                                 
The ladies at BAGS do exceptional work and I am inspired by all of them as people and by the effort they have put into their social entrepreneurship. Having the opportunity to be part of BAGS and volunteer at markets with them was huge in preparation for coming to Kolkata, even if I didn’t realize it fully at the time. Moreover, it’s nice to know that there is something in place for me to continue to stay connected to the work I do this semester once I return home. In no way does the 4 months that I spend in Kolkata have to be in isolation.




No comments:

Post a Comment